Sunday, September 14, 2014

Helping in God's Work

One thing I love about Jane is that she loves helping. But she's not always... helpful.


Including Jane in my work means it will take twice as long and result in hand prints left on the mirrors, crumbs dumped out of the dustpan, and silverware dropped on the floor. I generally have to work behind her and re-wash, sweep, and clean everything she does. Usually I don't mind because I really enjoy her, but sometimes my patience wears awfully thin and I think, "This would be a whole lot easier if you weren't in my way!"


She is truly trying to help and the frustration she may cause is completely innocent, so I try to push through those moments of impatience and remember the bigger picture. Besides needing to keep the house clean enough to maintain my sanity, there are three main reasons that I involve Jane in my work: 

1. I am teaching her how to do my work because, as she likes to say, "When I'm a Mommy, I do that." One day she too will be a homemaker and a mother and I want her to have the skills to be successful and feel fulfilled in that role. 

2. I want her to experience the joy of work. 

3. I genuinely enjoy her company. Even though sweeping, emptying the dishwasher, cooking, and everything else are more challenging with a two-year-old at your side, they are also more enjoyable.


Why does the Lord let us work side-by-side with Him as He involves us in His work? Why does He allow us to be His hands, to be His extremely imperfect representatives? As we go along thinking we're doing a great job, I'm sure He is coming behind us cleaning up the mess we've made and giving us credit for the end result. His work is certainly not easier with us involved. If He weren't perfect, there may even be moments when He would think, "This would be a whole lot easier if you would stop getting in my way!" So why does He go to the trouble? 

I believe God has the same reasons to prompt us to help our neighbor, or visit a sick friend, or make a new friend, or share His gospel with someone, or accept a responsibility at church or in the community, or write a book, or the millions of other small and large things He asks us to do as He involves us in His work.  

1. He wants us to become like Him. These skills, attributes and characteristics will only come through experience as we work with Him. 

2. He wants to share with us the great joy that comes from doing His work. 

3. He genuinely enjoys working with us. 

I am so grateful that the Lord allows me to take a small part in His great work, to be tutored at His side, and to experience the eternal joy of labor in His kingdom. 




1 comment:

  1. Love this! I've been getting more frustrated with my little helper lately, so this was perfect timing :)

    ReplyDelete