Saturday, August 9, 2014

We Must Kneel to be Filled

The kids and I met some friends at the zoo yesterday. (People here use the term "zoo" pretty generously. It is a small nature reserve with animals native to Minnesota-- owls, eagles, hawks, bears, cougars, wolves, hedgehogs, porcupines, buffalo.. you get the idea. Not monkeys and giraffes and elephants like you were thinking when I said we went to the zoo, but it's a great place!)


Our first stop was the goats. It was lunch time for the goats and Jane was excited (and kind of scared) to feed them! There was a group of kids (not the goat kind, the human kind) feeding one of the other goats, so Jane tried to feed the one closer to us. But he didn't even pay attention to her! The goat with the kids was standing on his back legs and reaching up to eat the hay the they were feeding to him, one piece at a time. The goat by us was down on his knees eating from a large bucket of hay, paying no attention to the piece we were trying to entice him with. He already had everything he needed. 

The goat with the kids seemed to be having way more fun; it was exciting to jump up to eat the hay. But I realized he would never be full if he ate his meals like this.  Only the goat who was kneeling was getting all of the nourishment he needed. 


I wondered which goat I am more like as I approach my spiritual nourishment. Do the pathetic pieces of hay in the world entice me to get off my knees and seek nourishment in more exciting ways, but ways that will never fill me? Or do I ignore everything else, get down on my knees and feast from the fullness my Heavenly care-giver has provided for me, realizing that in Him and through Him I already have everything I need?


No comments:

Post a Comment